View Single Post
Old
07-04-2009, 06:22 AM
Panopticon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
The camp is for all first and second year pros along with all amateur, junior, and European prospects that have not turned pro yet.
Ah, thanks. I just thought it was weird that they actually wanted the D-man from Milwaukee that was the most mature prospect last season to attend a development camp. I didn't know they had rules like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Honestly, I think the organization is excited to get a look at Laakso next week to gauge how competitive he will be come main camp where he likely will be given the opportunity to play in some exhibition games to judge his readiness for a call-up in season. Teemu was definitely on the Preds radar for a call-up last year before he was injured and is probably the best defensive-defenseman on the Ads.
In the games I saw (around Christmas and New Years), he was clearly the best defensive defenseman. With Zanon gone and deVries likely gone as well (?), there might even be room for a guy like him on the team. Great PK guy and a reliable defensive player to play with someone a bit more offensive. At least I hope so.

Although if Franson and Sulzer both make Nashville's roster, it could be good for Laakso to play in Milwaukee. But only if it means PP time for him to develop that side of his game too. But I'm sure the coach will just rather play Blum, Matheson, Dietrich or even a 4th forward on PP than Laakso...

I think in his case, it's just been a matter of chance that he's developed this way. As a youngster, he used to put up a good amount of points and was considered a two-way defenseman, but I think he was a bit rushed into the SM-liiga, where he saw limited minutes (rarely PP) and was often paired with really unreliable guys or just really offensive guys so he was never in a position himself where he could've experimented with and developed his offensive skills. He's just always been stuck covering for other people's mistakes, and the same thing continued in Milwaukee...

Panopticon is offline   Reply With Quote