View Single Post
Old
07-05-2009, 06:52 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by HURAKAN View Post
Yeah, no. His technique isn't perfect if he's hitting off the toe.

I'm positive he isn't shooting 88 MP/H if he's 130 lbs. I'm fairly certain the laws of physics prevent that. I'll do the math if you wish.
No, they don't. Body momentum is only one portion of a shot, there is most certainly a muscular component as well. He could have weight in muscle in all the right places- strong arms and legs, and perhaps is lacking in weight in other places, perhaps chest. He also probably has his flex perfect, and very good technique.

Besides, he's seen the shot clocked. It's 88. And I'm pretty sure it can be done. Jeff Hamilton played the point for the Hurricanes for part of a year, very similar in size to this guy's friend. Cannon of a shot, probalby the best on the team that year. Scored a bunch of goals early, then found himself a healthy scratch because teams learned that shooting was all he could really do and shut him down.

But I digress.

Anyway, what he's doing is probably a trick somebody showed me but I could never pull off well (my slapper sucks), which was to point the blade down so the toe makes contact with the ice first when taking a slapper. That forces the stick to flex more, and give you a little more load on the shot, giving you a little more speed. It will destroy your blades though- it'll make them start to break towards the heel. And that will probably have a side effect of making you hit the puck closer to the toe.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote