View Single Post
Old
10-21-2004, 09:51 PM
Edge

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
IMO it's more of an advantage for defenseman tha forwards, but I still think it's the smarter thing to do.

Almost all of the top players of all-time are left-handed, and I believe that most are right handed in real life.
I think Gordie Howe, Marcel Dionne, Brett Hull some guy named Mario and a slew of others would object to that.

Of the top 4 scorers in NHL history, 1/2 are right handed.

Of the top 10 goal scorers in NHL history, 6 are right-handed.
Of the top 15 goal scorers in NHL history, 10 are righties.
Etc.etc.

In terms of total point scoring, 4 of the top 10 were righties.

On today's scene you have plenty of young righties who are right up there in terms of skill and points including a kid named Iginla.

Now it's only my opinion, but personally I subscribe to the notion it was based out of the "perception" you can go to the stick side. Remember you have to go back to a day "pre-blocker" where it wasn't nearly as easy to block a shot on your stick side. Like many myths; perceptions; wive's tales; whatever you want to call them, they can prove incredibly hard to shake.

Many coaches {esp. the good ones who teach kids at a young age} actually DON'T want the kid to use their dominate hands on top, because they usually tend to try and overpower the stick rather than make it flow and maneuver. That of course is not to say that shooting left is a bad thing, but I expect over the next couple of decades you're going to see more and more right handed shooters than in the past.