Old
10-22-2004, 04:13 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinStuckInTheEye
There was an article running around HF somewhere suggesting that Edmonton might swap the Runners for the Sask Blades. I found that pretty interesting. If I can find it again, I'll post the link.

If you move MJ or SC, take the E out of Vic, put the Warriors or Broncos there and move Koot back to the Eastern Conference where they belong.

That's been a topic of discussion here for a loooong time and makes a lot of sense, IF the owner(s) of the blades are interested. Attendance figures suggest that Saskatoon isn't supporting them as well as they used to but just buying and moving the team would be worse. By swapping the WHL team for an AHL team, Saskatoon gets a higher level of hockey, with a connection to the closest NHL team (there are lots of Oiler fans in S'toon) and Edmonton gets another team to fill the building but with an even greater diffeence in demographic thatn between NHL/AHL fans.

It's a win-win.

The WHL team failed here because they had zero support from the Oilers and vice versa. They competed instead of cross promoted. That wouldn't happen this time, the Oilers want a junior team.

The thread that this came up in most recently was the Edmonton media round table one.