View Single Post
Old
10-24-2004, 01:20 PM
Puckhead

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydified
Maybe it has something to do with the 61 NHL records he holds?

Well said! There has never been an individual in any sport to come around and absoultely dominate the game like Wayne Gretzky! not even Michael Jordan. He not only holds 61 NHL records, many of those are so incredible, it is even hard to fathom how he did it! I believe as time goes on that some of those records will obvioulsy fall. However, I think that many are simply untouchable!

Quickest to 50 goals...39 games - NHL players rarely hit 50 in a full season nowadays
Most goals in a seaon...92 - See above
Most points in a season...215 - The NHL rarely sees 100 point producers anymore.
Over 3000 points in his career - including playoffs

I could go on and on well into the night talking about why he is the greatest, but in the few lines I have written here, I think it is very obvious!

Like Bobby Orr before him, who revolutionized the defense position, where a very special player was breaking into the league, at a time that the league was ripe for change and a new breed of player. I think that everything would have to go right throughout a players career in order to even come close to those numbers. Barring the NHL losing its marbles and awarding 3 points for a goal and 2 for an assist, I believe his totals will never be touched!