View Single Post
Old
07-11-2009, 09:32 PM
Wild Thing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSeals View Post
I don't think the signing of Cuma changes anything really, I'm still pretty sure he will spend the year in juniors and make up for the development he lost due to injury. Cuma will really have to impress or someone will have to have a serious injury very early for him to stick with the club. After that Scott is on a one way deal I think so he will start the year as the 7th Dman. I think Stoner should get a look and I think he is better then Scott so eventually he will replace him as the 7th Dman. Falk could still use a year or two improving his game before he breaks into the NHL. I can't wait for Cuma to become a regular on our club but I think we will have to wait another year and then he can replace Johnsson and/or Zidlicky.
I agree with that almost word for word, with only two exceptions. First off all, I think Cuma will probably see a season in Houston before he makes the big club. He seems very promising, but it's a hell of a jump for a defenseman to go straight from junior to the NHL. I'm not sure he'll be that polished by next year, but I'm certainly open to being pleasantly surprised. Second, from what I've read, I think Faulk may be ready to really take a big leap in his game this season. I think he'll get a couple of looks this year, and may be ready to make the jump next season.

In a perfect world, one in which everything goes in the most logical manner, Scott will be the 7th D coming out of camp. Stoner will be the first D called up when the injuries start, and if he does well, finish the season up here after we trade a vet (Johnsson, maybe?) at the deadline. Faulk shows promise over the course of the season, and has a legit shot at staying in St. Paul next September. Cuma follows the same general path as Faulk, a year behind him.

That's my best guess. But any way you look at it, we're finally in a decent position at D long term. It's nice to be able to talk about trading extra defensemen later in the season for playoff help, isn't it? It'd be nice to be able to move Johnsson sometime this year. I've always like the guy, but we're not getting anywhere near 5 million dollars worth of defenseman out of him, IMO. I'd like to trade him for a good forward and a prospect/pick, maybe free up some cap space as well. If we can get that for him, of course.

Last edited by Wild Thing: 07-11-2009 at 09:43 PM.
Wild Thing is offline   Reply With Quote