View Single Post
Old
07-13-2009, 01:36 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
I find it a bit disconcerting that DL said: "We ran too much hockey school crap in the last couple of years but this one will be at the level I envisioned when I got here."

What?!? It takes him 4 years to get a training camp to the level he wants to see?
My best guess is that it's a combination of how far the scouting staff has come and how far the prospects are in general. Lombardi has said multiple times that with his staff, things were moving a lot more fluidly and less disjointed (apparently there was a lot of chaos in 2008, particularly when they were offered Richardson for the 2nd round pick). So, as a whole, I think the entire staff is better able to pick the talent so they don't need to run the developmental camp at a lower level.

And let's remember this IS developmental camp, not training camp, not tryouts, nothing but a camp that's designed to improve the overall skills of the players.

And there was a huge difference in the drills this year as opposed to the previous years. In past years, they would have the goalies practice separately, and the forwards and defense would have less systematic drills.

This year, the drills united all three groups (forwards, defense, and goalies) where there's a very logical approach in forechecking, backchecking, odd man rushes and special teams.

The other thing to keep in mind is that while a lot of these players are recently drafted, improved scouting = improved prospects as a whole, and there was MUCH greater parity in this group of prospects than previous years.

So it was a very fair assessment, and while you can read into it negatively, I think it's not so bad a thing if they constantly work to improve the overall quality of these development camps.

My biggest beef with this year's camp was that, while it is much more efficient in getting everyone to work together, it was a lot busier, where some players just didn't stand out. What also made it difficult was the fact they didn't have numbers on the back of their jerseys, and simply on the back of their helmets. It took me a lot longer to figure out who was who.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote