View Single Post
Old
07-14-2009, 11:51 PM
Wetcoaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil91 View Post
hello i am currently taking a bachelor of applied bussiness and entrepreneurship in sports and recreation and plan to get a law degree after completion of the previous degree. i am just wondering if all goes well what would be the steps of becoming an nhl agent, and also how do pick up clients( i assume scouting them but im not completely sure)

thanks for any help
If you check out the NHLPA website you will see many agents have hockey connections prior to becoming agents. You also have to be certified by the NHLPA.
http://www.nhlpa.com/Agents/

Many are lawyers like myself. I played Tier II junior but blew out my knee. I tried to play some CIAU hockey but the knee was too bad. I concentrated on university, got a degree, worked for awhile and then went back to law school.

I was doing security type prospectuses and some international business and syndication work out of Europe and the Asia Pacific. My initial client was a referral from a former junior teammate who had played and was coaching in Europe. I straightened out a contract and tax problem for the player and saved him a bundle of money. His agent had missed a tax loophole. He recommended me to other players and so on.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote