View Single Post
07-16-2009, 10:19 AM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
True for the most part.

True, but there are other considerations. Most beginner players have trouble lifting the puck so for them to use a wide open curve is a crutch, a big mistake. As an intermediate player, I had real trouble keeping the puck down. Professional players generally can keep the puck down using even a very open curve, which is very hard to do sometimes. Keeping the puck down is an inherent contradiction on wrist and snap shots. It's usually much easier to go top shelf if you don't focus on shooting a hard shot, e.g. take a little something off. But beginners tell me the opposite is true, so who knows exactly.
i find that intermediates have trouble keeping it down because getting it up was the first thing they tried to do as beginners. everyone wants to shoot high so they obsessively practice it, teaching themselves that proper shooting motion involves leaving the blade open through the shot. when i taught people how to shoot, i tried to focus on good heel to toe snapping, sweeping the floor while focusing the power forward straight ahead. learn how to get a good snap out of it first before worrying about lifting. once you have power you can adjust how open your wrists are, and by extension your blade is. if your shooting high all the time, look at your blade when the shot is done. if the front of the blade is facing up toward the ceiling youre shooting "technically" wrong and thats why your shooting high all the time. the front face of the blade should be facing down pointing at your target. i say "wrong" in quotes because its hard to tell people things are wrong and right if what they are doing works. id say if you like the way you shoot but know its classically wrong learn the right way and have both shots in your pocket, using the appropriate one when it matters. there is no right and wrong if you like the way you do something,

in time people learn to shoot the way they like. i shoot off the toe a lot off a drag, i shoot low on slappers, i keep the blade really closed on them. with the invention of the composite stick, i feel i lost my best shot, the snapper. if i buy a flex low enough to get it going it breaks too soon, and the stiffer flexes really dont do it well.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote