View Single Post
Old
10-26-2004, 09:57 AM
Digable5

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Gopher
It would have nice to see him play last year some really talented forwards. He was supposed to great in HS. Many people thought that the gophs recruited Grant Potulny so hard to get his lil bro. The one good thing for Ryan is he paired with Danny Irman. They played USHL together. So there is a built in chemistry there. But as far as it being only NCAA. If you look at nothing else but his shot placement, those go in, in any league. Heatley averaged just under 1.5 points a game. Potulny is almost at 2 per. 9 points in 5 games. With two games against the #2 team at their house. But it is still early.
Sabres fan here so this is not a "homer" opinion of a Philly prospect. I have watched Potulny all season for Fantasy league purposes and have been impressed with everything that he does. Its not the fact that he is scoring at the college level but how he is doing it. You can't draft based on numbers, you have to actually watch the person play in order to see how good they really are and I truly feel that Ryan has a lot to offer and is a safe bet to make it in the NHL.

I love the review that MN_Gopher wrote, "If you look at nothing else but his shot placement, those go in, in any league". Potulny plays in all situations and has even a SH goal already in the season. His patience, shot power, shot accuracy, defensive play, stickhandling, etc.... are all superb. The only thing I think he needs to work on is his passing. Doesn't make a lot of open ice mistakes, but in the offensive zone he looks to shoot more often then he would look for an open teammate. That's not necessarily a bad thing with the way he can put the puck in the net, but it could be something that keeps him from being an "ultimate" contributor.