Old
07-16-2009, 04:43 PM
Winger98
powers combined

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack View Post
I don't agree that an 880k cap hit reflects the pay of a 12th or 13th forward. A veteran in that role should be making the minimum or very, very close to it. I'm thinking of contracts like Drake's, McCarty's and Downey's. Maltby is overpaid by a solid 300k. Sure, that's not a huge amount... but it represents over half the cost of a Lebda or Meech. It all adds up.
except McCarty and Downey are, arguably, not even 12th or 13th quality forwards. And Meech has barely been an 8th defenceman at this point and also a clear step behind Maltby relative to their positions.

If you want to take the lesser player for less money and debate the on-ice differences between Downey and Maltby, I can see the argument there. Regardless of who it is, they'll be getting less than ten minutes a night - but I don't think that necessarily makes Maltby overpaid.

with Drake, I'll gladly concede he was a better player than Maltby for a very good price in the playoffs. But it should also be mentioned that for 82 regular season games, Drake was considered a bad signing.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote