View Single Post
Old
10-27-2004, 12:55 PM
pei fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaboli
Now that's not very fair, is it. Mr. Nascimento plyed in the 1960s and 1970s his best game. Maradona did the same in the late 1980s and early 1990s. You'd think there aren't as many people interested in the game in the 1960s as there are in the 1990s. Maradona also had a social impact. Not a good one, but that's beside the point. Where did Pele play? Almost all of his career in Brazil, and a few years in the states. Maradona played in Italy in his prime. I'd say, that Maradona was very very known among people when played, contrary to Pele, when he played. Of course many people had HEARD about Pele, but Maradona was SEEN by many people.

So yes. I agree, that Pele made the game more known, but that's not fair to Maradona, since he played later. Pele made a lot of goals (many of which are controversy). But Maradona dominated every aspect of the game in the offensive zone. He could do it all. It's not surprising, that probably the two best known goals in football history are both Maradona's. And they were both scored in the same game, if I recall.
you are really missing my point.