View Single Post
Old
07-21-2009, 07:02 PM
Captain Ron

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Look at it this way, Tavares, Duchene, Hedman and Kane are all pretty desparately needed by their clubs to make an immediate impact on the ice and on the fans. Kane maybe a little less likely, but at the very least the first 3 will be eating into their ELC's this year. Schenn won't be. What's the rush? It will probably get done this summer, but it doesn't need to really, it could just as easily happen next summer and it wouldn't make a difference.

The only reason Schenn would need to sign an ELC this summer is if he makes the team, which is highly unlikely. The next time after that he would need one is if Brandon's season doesn't go far into the playoffs and the Kings want to send him Manchester or Ontario at the end of the season (even then I'm not positive he could, help me out on this one Ron). Even still, I'm not sure he could until after the Memorial Cup, since his team is guaranteed to play in it... but I don't know enough about the NHL rules or CHL technicalities to know if the Memorial Cup is counted as part of a team's season or if it is separate and how that affects the exception for sending players to the minors after their junior season are over.

All the same, I do expect he'll get signed in the next week or two, I'm just saying if it doesn't happen at all this summer, it won't make much of a difference.
It doesn't really matter if he gets signed now. Except it might give him more incentive to try to make the team. Not that this is a realistic possibility. But, whether or not he is going to make the team this season really does not mean much either. Do not forget Dean signed Hickey very soon after the draft took place and he still hasn't played in an NHL game. As for the juniors question Schenn would not be able to participate with the Monarchs until after the Memorial Cup.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote