View Single Post
Old
07-22-2009, 11:17 AM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack View Post
It could have been a factor. Hossa has been pretty healthy over his career. However, between breaking into the league young and playing all of those games, he's got a lot of wear and tear on his body. The past few seasons he's missed more time than in his younger days. If Hossa is out until December or January, that would be yet another chink in the armor. So I wouldn't dismiss the idea.

However, Zetterberg has missed his fair share of time, as has Franzen, and that didn't dissuade Holland from locking them up extremely long term.

So, I still think loyalty to players who were drafted & came up through our system was still a bigger factor in Holland neglecting to make a serious pitch to Hossa.

IMO, this does a lot more to explain why Hossa was less effective in the playoffs rather than explaining why he wasn't brought back.

I KNEW it had to be something. I could never get past how dangerous the guy was with the Pens, and then zilch with a better support cast. It didn't add up, and I never bought the playoff choker label. The guy wasn't a kid or someone who was in his first playoff series.

I still think Holland screwed up by pitting Franzen against Hossa, telling them he'd sign the guy whose cap number was okay first and then close down until the playoffs ended. I don't think it conveyed enough value to either player. Holland overpaid Franzen on term (I've said that all along); and then Holland tried to hang on to too many guys. He should have just known he had to let Sammy and Hudler go if he wasn't going to move someone or cut elsewhere. Holland does a great job overall, but even he makes mistakes. It was timing and trying to do too much, along with valuing the homegrown talent a bit too highly.

Regarding the injuries, Hossa is more durable than Z and Franzen. I don't think that should have been a factor.