View Single Post
Old
07-22-2009, 02:08 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
It's understandable, but it's the roadblock. You can either praise McPhee for developing his talent and not giving it up too quickly, or you urge the team to give up those assets to acquire a big-name asset. This is why I am ambivalent on the pace of the current team improvement. I like those four players, myself.

There are fans and posters who suggest that you don't need to give them up to acquire that player. I am not sure that is true, not with the kinds of contracts the Caps are carrying right now. I think that to fit a player that solid, it needs to be a player already under contract, not a RFA. To get one of those quality defensemen who is affordable and still under contract, you need to give up something of real value. On the Caps, it is those four young assets.

The alternative is, of course, to entertain thoughts of trading Semin.
I think you have to do both. His player aquisitions through the draft, free agency, trades, over the past 5 years have been solid, even bordering on pretty good (minus a few free agent screwups and questionable contract extensions). However, I think he has to shift his mindset at some point to a person willing to make the tough decision to part with potentially really good young players for established all star level players.

I would love to see an analysis of the top 25-50 alltime NHL goal scorers and see if and when they won championships, how those years compared to their peak production years as individuals. If that came back with most won championships from 25-29, I would feel better about letting another year play out before pulling the trigger on a major deal.

I think you have to consider the possibility of moving Semin. I would expect a young stud defender, or forward, no less than 3 years away from UFA status and another prospect and or 1st rd pick.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote