View Single Post
Old
07-23-2009, 12:04 AM
Dark Shadows

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbinsDuck View Post
You can not deny the league in the 70s was watered-down and there was an incredible lack of parity those years, going into the early 80s as well. There were A LOT of teams back then that sucked a lot worse than the Islanders have for the past few years.

It's not even close to today.

I believe it -- though obviously it's much less than what he averaged per game during those seasons -- so he must have been doing much better elsewhere huh?
It is quite tedious to go through Hockey_Summary_project to individually pull out each game in DAT files and then check on 2 separate pages for goals and assists if Potvin was involved in the scoring, but I will tough it out on my eyes and do a few more.

Potvin vs the 3 worst teams in 76-77:
Vs Colorado: 3 goals and 5 assists in 5 games
Vs Detroit: 1 goal and 0 assists in 4 games
Vs Washington: 1 goal and 1 Assist in 4 games.

Total 5 goals and 6 assists in 13 games against the worst 3 teams in the league.

In 77-78:
Vs Minnesota: 1 goal and 3 assists in 4 games
Vs Washington: 1 goal and 4 assists in 4 games
Vs StLouis: 3 goals and 3 assists in 4 games

Total 5 goals and 10 assists in 12 games against the worst 3 teams in the league.....

10 goals and 16 assists in 25 games, on pace for 32 goals and 83 points. not a whole lot different from his stats against Montreal/Philly when it comes down to it.

He was on pace for 35 goals and 83 points against the 2 elite best of the best defensive teams in the league over a 3 year period(And of all time)

Another big feather in Potvin's cap. Finals scoring against the elite best of the best in those years. 28 points in 24 finals games in his NHL career.

Pulling these stats out is so tedious because of the format of the files. Feel free to continue if you want. Everything is publically available at hockey_Summary_Project's Yahoo group. I am sure if you dig hard enough eventually you will find a team he completely killed every time he played. Every player has one of those. But from the looks of it, he was not padding his stats on the little teams.

Quote:
Now if Potvin did as well against them, doesn't it stand to reason he was more than capable of really taking advantage of the abundance of utter crappy teams at the time?
Stands to reason, but the statistics say otherwise. Against the 3 Absolute bottom feeding worst teams in the league for 2 years, his statistics were nearly the same as they were against the 2 absolute best defensive teams in the league.

Fortunately for us, if we want to check on Lidstrom's stats, his are much easier to view since Yahoo stats has complete game logs for each player since the late 90's all on 1 easy to read page for all active players. No hassle at all.

For instance, I looked quickly at Lidstrom's first Norris year, and against the top 6 teams in the league(NJD, OTT, PHI, COL, DAL, STL), he scored 14 points in 17 games, on pace for 66 points. While against the 6 worst teams(NYI, TBL, ATL, FLO, ANA, MIN), he scored 17 points in 13 games.

So Let's not pretend that working the little teams on the bottom is exclusive to era.

Last edited by Dark Shadows: 07-23-2009 at 12:37 AM.
Dark Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote