View Single Post
Old
07-23-2009, 12:24 PM
Dark Shadows

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbinsDuck View Post
Before I look for it - do you by chance have a link for HO's post with the graph? Thanks!
Not the graph, but the post in which he posted the information to the graph I have saved. Simply adjust all of Lidstrom's stats up 17%(Which was the offense level during Bourque's era)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Outsider View Post
Ray Bourque was on the ice for 1,457 even strength goals against in 1,612 regular season games, for a personal ES-GAA of 0.90.

Nicklas Lidstrom was on the ice for 958 even strength goals against in 1,252 regular season games, for a personal ES-GAA of 0.77.

However... there were an average of 5.85 goals per game when Lidstrom played and 6.86 goals per game when Bourque played. So Lidstrom played in an era that was 17% lower scoring*. Adjust his GAA by multiplying 0.77 * 1.17 = 0.90. According to this admittedly simple statistic, they were on the ice for exactly the same number of even-strength goals per game. (This confirms my intuition based on watching Lidstrom's entire career and well over a decade of Bourque's).

Comparing their personal GAAs is reasonable because they both received similar amounts of ice time (I'd estimate an average of 27 minutes per game). Lidstrom likely had the advantage of playing behind stronger defensive teams. My eyes tell me that their defensive play is similar (you can make an argument for either one, but it's close) and it's good to know that the stats confirm this.

* Note that to be fair to Lidstrom we should adjust his offense upwards by about 17% when compared to Bourque.

Dark Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote