Thread: Speculation: Trade with Montreal?
View Single Post
Old
07-26-2009, 12:36 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuck View Post
The money makes it impossible. Dealing Marleau would be due to salary cap pressure and that means they have to get a talent return that also provide $3 million or so in cap relief. I don't know if the Kost problems are lackof heart or early career inconsistency but it might not make a difference. Tough to make him the center piece in a deal after -7 and 41pts.
At the best case this deal could work out well for the Sharks. I think Halak is pretty good and could improve. Kost scored 53 points as a 23 year old with the unstellar Hab centers so another 20 points is definitely not impossible. On a weaker club Hammer was better last year than Vlasic and there is a good chance he will still be better this year. But without improvement by both Kost and Halak, and if Hamrlik declines at all the deal is a complete bust.
Even if management are big AK fans, Hammer's contract makes this one a non starter. Montreal can't get both the best player in the deal, and a salary dump of their own. .08% chance
The problem with including Hamrlik is the Sharks have no need for him or his contract. We have defensemen to give. We could use a backup goalie but those are not hard to find for cheap and without dealing Marleau or Vlasic.

It's hard to envision a deal that would move Vlasic without sending Cheechoo and getting a top scoring forward in return. Including Marleau in a deal would only happen for a top level forward like Heatley and I can't see that happening either.

I'm pretty sure at this point Marleau will be with the Sharks this year. Any deals we will make will include one of our defensemen and we won't take a defenseman back unless its someone that is younger and could be a franchise defenseman as part of a larger package.