View Single Post
Old
07-27-2009, 12:34 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
From the sound of it, single letter, not doing the summer "AAA" elite circuit, small tournaments. Sounds like your parents have things pegged about right.
I don't understand the correlation between the person's level of play and the need to play the game the right way. While I understand the possibility of a career in the game or maybe a scholarship opportunity for higher level athletes would present a more tangible incentive to bust their butt, that doesn't mean lower level guys shouldn't be hustling and competing. If he is only and A player instead of a AAA player, than maybe he skips dryland training before the season, or isn't strict in his diet, but he should still be giving his all in games in my opinion.

I would agree that childhood should be the most fun time in life, and hockey doesn't have to be a consuming endeavor for everyone. Would you agree though, that life isn't all about fun, and raising successful well-adjusted children isn't all about keeping them happy? 14-15 is about the age when kids start to grow up, and find things other than fun rewarding (overcoming adversity, being and having true teammates, etc. etc.) .

If he can learn to be accountable and work hard, then I don't think it would be the worst thing ever if he missed out on some fun. The confidence and pride he would get from becoming the type of person people want to have on their team would be as rewarding as any "fun" could. Not to mention if the team actually has some success that would be great reinforcement to him that hard work really does pay off. The lessons learned while becoming a good teammate really equip kids well to be good friends and respectable men. I understand if someone's first instinct is to make their children happy in the present, but doing so the the extent that they're missing opportunities to mature is a mistake (my opinion).

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote