View Single Post
Old
10-29-2004, 04:43 PM
RANGERDIEHARD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubera55
Just chiming in with my two cents . . .

The North American thing is a big deal. Lundqvist has never played on an NHL sized rink before. He's never played in a game whistled by NHL referees. He's never had guys like KT and Holik crashing into his crease. He's never been challenged to a fight on a hockey rink.

Like it or not, these things happen in NA hockey, and not in the SEL. I'm not even talking about a qualitative difference (even though there is one). I'm talking about a distinctly different experience and skill set.

How is he going to react when those big PF's come crashing into him shift-after-shift-after-shift? Is he going to lose it and start taking retaliatory minors? Or is he going to get skittish? Or can he handle the physical play? How will the smaller rink and faster game effect his reflexes and positioning?

No one knows, not even Lundqvist. And while we are all very excited about him, I think it's not unwarranted to list Montoya ahead of him. Montoya is four years younger and well versed in the NA game. While his resume isn't as long or as distinguished as Lundqvists as-a-whole, he has done far more at this age than Lundqvist had in his draft year. That should factor in.

Suffice to say, we're all hoping Lundqvist can translate his SEL dominance into NHL dominance. But it's hardly a given that he will.

The argument is that Lundqvist is not being assessed as a PROSPECT fairly. All of the things that you have mention are things that happen at the NHL level; no goalie prospect has much if any NHL experience at all. How can we use this as a point specifically aimed at Lundqvist while we don't know how any goalie prospect will fair against the points you mentioned? Do we know how Montoya will act under these conditions? Not playing with college players we will not. The bottom line is that the SEL is a much more indicative of the level of play in the NHL than the NCAA or juniors. Not to mention that this year the SEL has over 30 NHL players in the league.