View Single Post
Old
07-28-2009, 10:55 PM
RangerFan10

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Byers potential is more realizable at this point. A lot of talk of him being on the cusp.

To comment on Ryan Bourque--he and Byers are two completely different players. Bourque is definitely more flashy, more skilled at moving the puck--for me his size could be a real issue though. If his brother Chris is anything to go by he might find it hard to stick in the NHL. Kind of makes me think of Peter Ferraro.

The reason some of us think that Byers still has the potential to be a third liner--is because he seems to have some offense to go along with the size, the agitation etc. One of those guys who might not seem all that special but at the end of the night they've found a way to get on the scoreboard. Top 5 scorer on the Wolfpack in his rookie season--well over 200 pm's. Another 40 + point season in his second year. Last year hampered by a serious injury--he came back for the playoffs and scored a goal in the first game he played in--in months. So I don't think we're talking the second coming of Ryan Hollweg--who didn't even get 20 points (if I remember correctly) in his only AHL season. I think there is a lot more here.
If Peter Ferraro, and his brother for that matter, came up post lockout they probably would've been steady third liners in the NHL, IMO.