View Single Post
Old
07-31-2009, 11:40 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Mark me up for Boychuk.

I like everything about the kid to date. He's noted to have the hands, vision, skating ability, offensive and defensive awareness and for his size, is a chippy hockey player who will go into the dirty areas. The one and only fault he carries is his size, however i'm not so much worried about that strictly based on his other intangibles and attributes being full of potential. You see plenty of smaller guys in the league today who have the talent to get by and excel in different aspects making them successful - St. Louis, Kane, Parise, Briere, Roy, Cogliano, Gagner, the list goes on. I'm not worried about Boychuk in the least.

My closest comparison to Boychuk is Derek Roy, it's been mentioned here before by a few. Personally, I love the comparison and it strikes me as a good match when trying to eye up a prospect to an NHL forward. Almost identicle in size, they both carry a chippy game for their size which is impressive, offensively & defensively aware which in return allows them to play both the PP & PK with success, great speed and skating ability along with good, solid hands which result in above average playmaking ability and a shot that can bury a puck quickly. I remember watching Roy come to town during his 4 years in Kitchener, and given everything talked about in Boychuk attribute and skill wise... the similarities seem evident, the comparisons are there.

I see Boychuk as a future center and hope he can be developed there. Personally I think he is a tad small for a winger and he may not be big enough nor strong enough to be a asset along the boards on a nightly basis. Seeing a 5'9 188 pound Derek Roy develop as a real good centerman gives me hope Boychuk can do the same and be successful there. It would be ideal as finding a good centerman is often much harder than filling out the wings. Having Staal in the #1 slot with Boychuk in the #2 slot would be real good. Add in Sutter as the future #3 centerman (as I think he'll either pan out there or #4, but I doubt he goes top 6).. and we're a strong team down the middle for years to come.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote