View Single Post
Old
08-01-2009, 04:28 PM
Tormentor

vCash: 500
Bump...

I admit that I haven’t been all that positive before when talking about Miikka Salomäki, but after the performance he put up today, I must give him some praise. He played with Kärpät’s Jr.A team against Kiekko-Laser’s Suomi-Sarja team while Kärpät won 4-3. Salomäki was unable to score, but played very well for a kid of his age. He had something like 4 or 5 scoring chances and overall looked like a player that could very well be ready for Jr.A hockey already during the upcoming season. Skill has always been there, but now he works a lot harder on the ice by moving more without the puck and by actually taking part to defensive plays. He even skated hard to the bench after sifts, truly a drastic change when comparing to the past. His skating still looks a bit heavy, but in the end it shouldn’t matter that much for a player with his hockey sense and skill level as long as he keeps working hard. Also in contrary to the past times that I’ve seen him play, he played as a center forward instead of a winger and it seemed to suit him well.

Also I’m fairly certain that I spotted last season’s Pohjola camp top scorer Jaakko Hautamäki playing for Sport’s Jr.B team while they tied 3-3 with Kärpät’s Jr.B team. At least there was a forward wearing number 14 that scored a goal and his name was announced to be Hautamäki. He looked quite a lot taller than 179cm, which was his height at the Pohjola Camp. Not a player with an exceptionally high skill level, but when compared to another tall 94-born forward Oskari Lehtinen, he seemed to be better in controling his body at higher speeds and was therefore better at handling the puck in those situations. Could be a player to watch for, but I would like to see a full game from him before saying anything more.

Last edited by Tormentor: 08-01-2009 at 04:38 PM.