View Single Post
Old
08-02-2009, 11:14 AM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy View Post
Kubina is better if you like someone with a complete lack of ability to play in his own end...
Your talent assessment needs some work. And while we're on the topic of play in one's own end, the Leafs had better hope Kaberle stays because Komisarek is next to useless with the puck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courage View Post
Kubina is better at putting up points.
Kubina is better at everything except hitting. And he's pretty good at that, too.

Quote:
That said, you really aren't taking the whole picture into account

. Even if we agree that Kubina is the better overall player, there's more to player value than on-ice abilities. In particular, Kubina's contract was an issue. Burke had a limited window in which to move him or face the potential that:

A) Kubina blocks yet another trade at the deadline.
B) Kubina - who will be 33 at the conclusion of the season - wants a pay raise and a similar contract to the one he's on at the end of the season.
C) Kubina walks and Burke has nothing to show for it.

I like Kubina, but I would've seriously considered moving him, too.
This makes no sense at all. First off, Komisarek is clearly inferior in most areas of the game and makes only .5 million less, and we've signed him for several years. There's no cap argument to be made here. The team has lost talent, period.

Secondly, your fear of Kubina walking away is mitigated by what, exactly...dealing him for a crappy player like Exelby and replacing him in the top 4 with an inferior defenceman? I don't get it.

Komisarek is younger but that really doesn't make me feel any better about it. I'm sure he'll throw some great hits this season and block shots, but there's nothing else he does particularly well.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote