View Single Post
Old
08-03-2009, 04:12 PM
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfans333 View Post
Jussi Jokinen, Jeff Halpern and Mike Smith? That was the deal? Don't expect much more than that kind of package for a 7.8 millions centre averaging 60pts.
1) This whole conversation is stupid because nobody on the Stars wants to trade Brad Richards. Stop telling us to lower our expectations, it was a Habs fan who made the proposal.

2) Smith, Jokinen and Halpern is a very good package, but that's apples and oranges because the situations are TOTALLY different.

Tampa was in a rebuild. Like I stated in my previous post -- and Blind Gardien expounded on -- the Stars aren't trying to shed salaries and stockpile assets; we're trying to win the Cup this year. Tampa was trying to dump salary and stockpile assets, not win a Cup this year.

To demonstrate my point, imagine a trade-back for the exact same assets: the Stars would never do it, and the Lightning wouldn't either.

Replacing Richards with Halpern would force the Stars to either a) put Modano back up on the 2nd line (nervous about that) or b) put one of our young wingers into the middle (Eriksson??). Either way ... no thanks. Mike Smith would throw a fit coming to Dallas ... he's 26ish and would be a backup AGAIN, which would derail his career aspirations. And Jussi Jokinen would be thrown back onto the left winger pile that we have in Dallas and would probably end up on a 4th line. We'd likely buy out Halpern because Ott has grown into that checking role over the last couple seasons.

From the Lightning perspective, they'd be giving up their best goalie (whose GAA was a full goal-per-game better than anyone else's last season ... WOW!), adding a huge salary, taking ice time away from Stamkos, and adding two holes to their roster (pretend Jokinen was still with Tampa), for which they'd have to find two more forwards. They'd NEVER do that.

Don't think that what Dallas paid Tampa for Richards 2 seasons ago can be used as a rough guide for what Montreal would have to pay Dallas for Richards now. Apples and oranges.

ck26 is online now   Reply With Quote