Old
08-03-2009, 09:46 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Niklas Lidstrom
The best defenseman overall since the European influence started in the early 1990's. Took awhile to establish himself. Lack of a physical game produces defensive errors that are hard to explain.Supports offense rather than generating it from the defense.Has leadership qualities and knows what it takes to win for the most part - the physical part.If he had some Ulf in him definite top 10.
This is just absurd. Produces errors that are hard to explain? I have no idea what you are talking about. Lidstrom plays almost perfect positional defense, possibly the least prone to mistakes of all the top dmen after Harvey. He proved in the 1997 finals that you don't need to be physical to be elite defensively. And I'm saying this as a huge fan of Scott Stevens and his type of defense.

Quote:
Jaromir Jagr
Offensive compiler. Won two cups with a Pittsburgh team led by great players like Mario Lemieux, Ron Francis,Bryan Trottier but when his turn came did not step up as a leader in Pittsburgh or elsewhere. Rarely in shape, often a defensive liability.

Dominik Hasek
An artist. Improvised. Defined high risk, high reward for a goalie.
No specific style. If you buy the smoke and mirror stats combined with paradoxical arguments then you may like him but game in game out other goalers offered more.

These two guys have more negatives than anyone else on the list, but come on. The Pittsburgh Cup teams were led by Mario Lemieux. Jagr was at least as important as Francis and Trottier.

Also, I find it interesting that the last three players on your list are the three Europeans.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote