View Single Post
Old
08-04-2009, 07:17 AM
Canadiens1958

vCash: 500
Phil Esposito

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER View Post
It looks like from the eligible list that Bourque snuck into the top 10, I assume at 10th overall.

So we have now 4 defenders, 3 centres, 3 wingers. Not yet a goalie.

I had Roy Hasek and Bourque in that order for my 10, 11, and 12 so

11) Roy
12) Hasek

Next I had Morenz, but looking back at things I am not seeing a huge gap between Mikita and Morenz. The most common argument I'm seeing is that Morenz was the games "first superstar". However Morenz popularity off the ice, I think on the ice the two are neck and neck. Mikita has a slew of awards over Morenz, but Morenz in his ranking of best player of the first half of the century leads me to believe there is much more to him than what you'll see on the stats page. Mikita naturally didnt come up much in the first debate as he was clearly out of the top 10. Morenz did get some attention, but not much. I'm interested in some of the views of the more knowledgable guys on this one.

After those two I have Esposito as my 15th. Probably a very unpopular opinion, but I think you can make a very good argument for him being the 5th best offensive player of all time. Also led the playoffs in scoring 3 different times so he showed up when it mattered. Also was good defensively and a great leader. He has a reputation from some as being a product of Orr, but he was Canada's best in 72. Also as a Ranger he put up 5 more straight PPG seasons despite being into his mid and late 30's, when most of his contemporaries were retiring. I think he's become one of those tarnished legacy players who if they had retired earlier would be remembered in a much better light.

Also, anyone think they look alike?
What really hurts Phil Esposito is the comparison to Jean Ratelle after the Bruins/Rangers trade. Their scoring stats washed but Ratelle went deeper in the playoffs and had a very strong +/-, +131 while Esposito had a very weak +/-, in fact with the NY Rangers it was -116.

Phil Esposito
http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...esposph01.html

Jean Ratelle
http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...esposph01.html

Phil Esposito ,good defensively???????????????

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote