View Single Post
Old
08-04-2009, 11:52 AM
n_a_c

vCash: 500
First, I assume Sather couldn't find a trade for him which actually improved our team. Like not even a draft pick. I'm surprised - even at 3.9 million he is a talented top 6 guy.

I'm okay with walking away. Kotalik and other UFA signings will replace his production, and hopefully without some of the negative baggage. We are getting UFAs for nothing, and giving Zherdev away for nothing - that's just the way it worked out.

It is easy to second guess the Tyutin trade now, but fact is without Zherdev our offense would have been even more dismal last year, and we didn't need a another defenseman. I'm sure Sather didn't think things would turn out as they did, and also hoped that Zherdev would pull things together and have a great year. Most people agreed at the time that Zherdev had much greater risk/reward than Tyutin. Just turns out that the reward didn't pan out.

The point that if we didn't sign Redden, then we wouldn't have been able to trade Tyutin is a very good one.

Without Zherdev we have space to sign Dubinsky to a few years, and add a veteran or another small piece if needed. And have flexibility for injuries or for a trade deadline acquisition. Definite bonus.

Lastly, the main question is - did Sather improve the team as compared to last year. In my opinion, the answer is an unequivocal YES. Letting Zherdev walk was one part of improving the team.

n_a_c is offline   Reply With Quote