View Single Post
Old
08-04-2009, 12:22 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

vCash: 500
I don't see how losing Zherdev is "horrible asset management"

I mean, how big of an asset was Zherdev to NHL GM's? To me, cap space is also an asset.

You can't tell me that Sather didn't try to trade him. Nobody bit. It happens. GM have their hands tied for a variety of reasons. If this were 1992, then we probably would have gotten a 1st or 2nd rounder for him. But in this day and age, nobody wantas to even think about acquiring a 4-million dollar experiment.

In my opinion, if other GM's traded for Zherdev, THEY would be the ones making terrible decisions when they could have signed UFA's like Fedotenko and Samuelsson and Satan and Sykora for half the price of Zherdev without giving up a pick or player.

So in that regard, trading Tyutin (who was overrated on these boards and for the third year in a row had a terrible playoff) for Zherdev was a justified Gamble since Sather knew he was losing Jagr, Shanny, Avery and Straka. I put the blame on Zherdev for not making his mark here in new York when he was given every opportunity to shed some baggage.

But like I said before, Zherdev's stock PLUMMETED after he had a bad second half and was criticized by two Rangers coaches in one season. On top of that, he was given a hefty raise that teams will avoid because of their internal caps and/or the expected salary cap decrease.

I'm just glad it's over. I definitely approve of not keeping him at 3.9.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote