Thread: Value of: Steve Ott
View Single Post
Old
08-04-2009, 12:28 PM
detredWINgs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenatorArmy View Post
I think a better argument would be, let's look at the first few seasons of each player

Steve Ott: 1st Season: 26GP 3 goals 4 assists
2nd Season: 73GP 2 goals 10 assists
3rd Season: 82GP 5 goals 17 assists
4th Season: 19GP 0 goals 4 assists
5th Season: 73GP 11 goals 11 assists
6th Season: 64GP 19 goals 27 assists

Lucic: 1st Season: 77GP 8 goals 19 assists
2nd Season: 72GP 17 goals 25 assists

Interesting. Lucic scored more goals in his first 2 seasons, than Ott did in his first 5. In Lucic's 2nd season, his numbers are almost as good as Ott's best season. Lucic more than doubled his own goal totals in his 2nd season than his 1st, & played 5 less games. If I was making a team & I was choosing one guy or the other, I would absolutely pick Milan Lucic. But of course if I could have both, I would also.

It's also worth noting, when Ott was Lucic's age he wasn't even in the NHL yet. He didn't play his first season till he was 20. Lucic played his first season at 18
Ott was also never given a chance in the early going with Dallas because they actually had offensive depth.

Ott's story reminds me of Franzen's. Franzen was pulling 3rd and 4th (mostly 4th) for his first few years. It wasn't until we had a rash of injuries that Franzen found himself playing alongside Datsyuk and getting PP time. And in the past 2 seasons, hes had, what? 60 goals?

I would LOVE for the Wings to get Ott. Hes exactly what we need. But Ken Holland doesn't make trades, and we don't give up assets in the salary cap world.

Is he UFA next season? Could garner a pretty penny at the deadline.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote