View Single Post
Old
08-04-2009, 03:38 PM
God Bless Canada

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbinsDuck View Post
I am continuously shocked at how poorly Hasek fares on some of these lists.

Even completely ignoring when he was the best goalie, and often even player, in Czechoslovakia, a time when Czechoslovakia was 2nd at the World Championships behind only the Soviet Union, he still appears better to me than Roy, statistically and from watching them play.

Roy, with much better teams, simply can not compare to Hasek's regular season dominance and both goalies raised their games in the playoffs (one was just consistently on much better teams). Both times they went head-to-head (1998 and 2002) Hasek was easily the better goaltender, and there is no denying the older Hasek outshined Roy from the very moment he became a starter in the league.

I've taken a lot of time to look at these two, and Hasek comes out on top in almost every single metric (not based on quantity) I can find short of playoff OT win %.

3 Conn Smythes are incredible, and there is absolutely no denying it, but I fail to see how it trumps 3 extra Vezinas and 2 Harts. Am I missing something?

I really believe if Hasek was canadian he would be the unanimous choice as the greatest goalie ever, and especially the greatest modern goalie.
When you post comments like the last paragraph, it completely undermines your credibility.

I think it's great that Hasek was a great player in Czechoslovakia. It doesn't change a damn thing in how I perceive the guy. Best player in Czechoslovakia? What percentage of those guys would have been good enough to make the show? Their best player in the mid-to-late 80s, Peter Stastny, was here already.

As I said in my Esposito post, World Championships don't do it for me. It's a short tournament that usually is determined by a best-of-one. In fact, I'll reiterate another statement I've made many times: hockey has the least relevant World Championship in professional sports. Any professional sport. They're not irrelevant. But it means the least of any sport.

I interviewed a top NHL player a few years ago just after he'd played in the World Championship for the first time. He said it was a great experience. And he hoped he would never play in it again. Any NHL player worth a damn will tell you the same thing.

World Championship accomplishments mean next-to-nothing to me in this process. It's not a best-on-best. It's never been a best-on-best. It'll never be a best-on-best, unless the tournament is moved to late June or early September, in which case, it would be a total joke.

I gushed about Summit earlier, for the reasons I detailed earlier. Best-on-best. Best of eight. (B*stard number, but it's better than a best-of-one). Played in both Canada and the USSR, employing the stark differences in the two games.

Canada Cup gives somewhat of an accurate reflection, because it's a best-on-best, but it would be better if it used a best of seven (or even a best of five) instead of a best of one or a best of three. Olympics in their current format would be a better indicator, too, if they didn't use a best-of-one. But it's unrealistic to expect anything else.

And yes, you are missing something. You play the regular season to qualify for the playoffs. Your season, both individually and as a team, is ultimately based on how you play in the playoffs. Regular season is exactly that. Regular. Playoffs are when you build your legacy.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote