View Single Post
08-04-2009, 04:02 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Taylor was the first player to make setting up a teammate one of his major scoring options. As evidenced by having more than 80% more assists per game then any other players once the PCHA started recording assists.

My response was to the bolded. Since the poster in question tried to be cute using percentages as opposed to links with hard data,I just grabbed the first available year on hockeydb and extrapolated

Taylor averaged app.8APG an assist during his PCHA career. 80% more assists per game means that the others did not surpass .444 APG during Taylor's tenure. During the season I refereed to the assists leaders per team averaged .57/.59/.70 APG. or respectively 12 / 13 / 17 assists. Even if you take the bottom .57 APG the 80% is an exagerattion

You mention that Taylor led the PCHA in assists 6 times meaning that during his 10 year PCHA career at least twice, since I will acknowledge the two partial seasons, he was not the leader while racking up prime type numbers. To get to the 80% claim the leader and all the other players would have had to be significantly under the 1920-21 totals which is very unlikely and points in the direction of an exagerration. Support the 80% claim with data as opposed to getting cute.

Overlap. Not a clearly defined concept.
Overlap: Taylor did not play pro hockey until the 1906 season, when he split the year between the Manitoba league and the IHL. He spent 1907 in the IHL and then finally joined the eastern syndicate in 1908 with Ottawa as a defenseman in the ECAHA. Russell Bowie played his final ECAHA season in that season. McGee played his final season two years before that.

Both were outstanding players but hockey changed a lot from that generation to Taylor/Malone/Lalonde's generation. The days of guys scoring 2-3 goals a game regularly were over.

So Taylor's career overlapped with McGee's for one season, but they were in different leagues. It overlapped with Bowie's for three seasons, only the last of which was in the same league. And he played 16 more seasons after that. So I would consider that a case of careers NOT overlapping. Wouldn't you? I'd say it's a concept that is clearly defined.

As for Taylor, as I understand it, you want me to prove that he was a dominant playmaker?

- In 1913 he tied for the league lead with 8.
- In 1914 he led with 15. Next best was Dubbie Kerr with 11, then Frank Patrick and Skinner Poulin with 9. He was just getting started...
- In 1915 he led with 22. MacKay and Dunderdale were the next-best, with 11 and 10.
- In 1916, he led with 13. Kerr had 12 and Patrick had 11.
- In 1917, he had 15, good for 3rd in the league, but dominant on a per-game level. On pace to 33. Stanley had 18 and Morris had 17.
- In 1918, he had 11, one behind Morris for the lead. Oatman had 10. (Taylor dominated this year with 32 goals, next best had 20)
- In 1919, he led in both goals and assists. His 13 assists topped MacKay's 9 and Morris' 8.
- In 1920, he played just 10 games but had 6 assists. This projects to 13, one behind Oatman's 14 and ahead of Harris' 10.

That's 8 straight years of being the best or second-best playmaker in the PCHA on a per-game level. Notice as well, that very few players are even mentioned multiple times above. Everyone had their moment as a #2 or #3 guy and then fell back into the pack, but Taylor was always the #1 guy.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote