View Single Post
Old
08-04-2009, 04:05 PM
RabbinsDuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
When Kelly played, defencemen did not join the rush. You do know that, right? If you don't, you don't belong in this process.
I understand that, though I am not a voter... but maybe I misuderstood the "All posters are encouraged to participate in the debates and discussions"?

I don't pretend to know everything and am more interested in learning.

I think it is clear you do not have to join the rush to be effective offensively as a defenseman, and that defensemen who often did join the rush sacrificed actual defense.

Quote:
In 49-50, Kelly had 15 goals and 40 points. The criminally underrated Bill Gadsby was the only other one with at least 10 goals and 30 points.

In 50-51, he had 17 goals and 54 points. The next-closest in each category was Allan Stanley (seven goals) and Jimmy Thomson (36 points). The 2-3-4 defencemen in goals combined for 18 goals that year. Kelly had 17.

In 51-52, he had 16 goals and 47 points. One-year wonder Hy Buller was next with 12 and 35.
No question those were impressive years, but Gadsby and Harvey were also putting up 50+ points in the years I listed (Gadsby and Kelly doing it twice) and there were defensemen putting in more goals in the 30s and 40s (in less games).

Looking at the latter years I posted, only 4 defensemen put up 70+ points and Lidstrom did it 4 times.

Are you just assuming Gadsby, Harvey and Kelly would be putting up 100 points today? I just do not buy that and do not understand how those numbers figure.

RabbinsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote