Thread: Speculation: Mike Grier to Habs?
View Single Post
Old
08-05-2009, 09:03 AM
Maxpac

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I've had Grier on my shopping list all summer, so whether I put any stock in the rumour or not, I'd still be happy to talk about the Habs signing him, and hoping they do.

Granted, I agree with the observation that Grier might be slowing. Which might be fatal in his case. Which means I'd really want a shorter term deal, 1 year preferably, 2 years at an extreme maximum. And it surprises me that he hasn't signed elsewhere for 3 years. So I'm willing to believe that maybe he is indeed slowing and other teams have seen it too. But he was so darn effective as an almost perfect 3rd line shutdown guy, and we really lack that element on our current team. We have a couple of inexperienced guys who we hope might grow into the role one day. We have an energy/grinder guy in Moen, but not really a savvy defense player there. But I think the team would really benefit from having a more experienced checking line player. Hence Grier and Malhotra on my shopping list. Winger or center. Risk associated with Grier's health/decline perhaps. Risk accepted for the right $ and term, I say.
That's all nice, but what i don't get is why does it seem like such a hard thing to do of noticing we already have a full team up front. With our depth right now we could put 5 nhl lines on the ice every night. There's simply no room for another UFA signature, and i'm not ready to leave Sergei or Maxpac in the stands for a 35 year old Mike Grier, even more since the signing of Travis Moen.