View Single Post
Old
08-05-2009, 11:50 AM
LTL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
As far as I can tell, it's been eerily similar -- start out with a flourish and make tall claims about "rebuilding" and "doing it right", which are then swiftly followed by turning around and doing the same old thing, acquiring veteran help from other teams, focusing on the near future and trying to make the playoffs. signing expensive free agents and signing/trading for crappy vets to block the very young talent they claim to want to develop.

Burke has unquestionably the better pedigree of the two, but he's made some truly awful moves so far (Kubina for Exelby is nearly as bad as anything Junior did). I think the biggest problem he has vis a vis a comparison to Junior's strategy is that the Leafs have ALREADY missed the playoffs several years in a row now. If he had taken over after the lockout instead of JFJ maybe things would have been different, but I doubt it.

It's not the fans that don't have the patience for a real rebuild, which is what everybody claims, it's the ownership. And until the ownership changes, we won't see a corresponding change in approach...they say the right things at the inaugural press conference, but their actions are the same old, same old.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post
yup, I can't believe how many people are believing this rebuild crap.
Until Burke begins mortgaging the future for veteran or over the hill talent (Rask for Raycroft, 1st, 2nd, 4th for Toskala, 2nd for Perreault) we can't make that claim yet. Although your comparisons on the vet movement may become valid based on the opening night roster.

I'm willing to give Burke a bit of rope as I've done with any Leafs GM.

LTL is offline   Reply With Quote