View Single Post
Old
08-05-2009, 02:37 PM
Alex28*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 10 View Post
there are several thing's wrong with this

one peverley performed like he did for half a season, not a month, nopt on and off, he was solid for half a season. that's not just getting hot, that's being good.

two kozlov was just slightly better than he normally is last year

three salmela is a lot more important than you are thinking. it would not surprise me at all to see him take kubina's spot in the top 4 when he leaves next season.

four white normally has just as many, if not more, points than zubrus so he's not replacing him.

so the only thing here is asking if we value what may or may not be an upgrade over peverley higher than salmela and a 2nd round pick

i say no
I never said Peverley was just on a hot streak, I said he was half a season removed from the AHL and still far from proven. And if it turns out he can maintain that level of play while centering Armstrong and someone else, Atlanta becomes a very fearsome team. There's still a role for Peverley on the team even with Zubrus.

I never advocated Zubrus replace white, White is Little's center, Zubrus would be Kovalchuk's and Antropov's, and I feel that line would seriously overachieve since their playing styles mesh so well.

Kozlov was a 41 point player the season before the last one and everyone and their mother wanted to run him out of town. He's also becoming pretty old now, and I'd say expecting him to repeat with over 60 points is a reach, even if possible.

And while Salmella could be a good top 4 on some teams if he develops, a Salmella-Hainsey pairing would just bleed goals against. Valabik, if he can learn to skate, would be a much better option.

Also, it's not as big of a gamble to expect Zubrus to regain his form as people think, he's still 31, pretty healthy and simply hadn't gotten a top line center role in the last 2 years, while playing with people whose styles he doesn't mesh with offensively when in a top 6 role. He needs puck hogs on his line who are good at drawing attention and stretching out the ice while he gets in position and finishes guys off in the corners. Elias and Gionta are pretty much the opposite of those types of players, that's why the anti-Zubrus (Gomez) worked so well with them. Kovalchuk-Zubrus would likely have very similar chemistry to Dubinsky-Jagr.

The thing we're asking is whether Atlanta is going to be noticeably better with Zubrus (for the next 4 years) than Salmella and whoever that 2nd round pick yields.

I say it's very likely that they are, even if he eventually is relegated to the 3rd line over the duration of his contract.

Last edited by Alex28*: 08-05-2009 at 02:43 PM.
Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote