Thread: Value of: Steve Ott
View Single Post
Old
08-05-2009, 05:44 PM
Kritter471

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Ott isn't a dirty player, but he can be an out-of-control player at times. He's been much better as he's matured about reigning in the ornery streak, but there are games where he can be trying to do so much that he wanders over into the high hit, elbows up territory. Generally, his m.o. is a hit that's a half-a-beat late and yapping the whole time. He also likes stickwork. There's a great clip from the 08 series against the Sharks where the players are standing around at the benches during a break and Ott's stick wanders up and pokes a Shark under the nose, just easy enough that it could be an accident. He doesn't specialize in the truly dangerous, but the guaranteed-to-be irritating.

What's impressed me about him (and I'm one of the Dallas fans who's thought he was a good pick for several years and that he was more misused than one-dimensional) is that he's gone through an on-ice maturity in the past couple of years in terms of his decision making. The broken hand definitely helped, as that physically kept him from fighting, but he's also taking himself out of position less for hits, not stirring things up at the wrong time anymore and generally eliminating the elements of the agitating game that come back to bite teams.

As far as him and Lucic, it's impossible to compare career trends because Ott did not play up the lineup until the past two seasons. I don't get to see Lucic enough to make a real judgment, though of the dirty plays I've seen from the two players, Lucic's crosscheck to a Habs' player's head in the playoffs is by far the dirtiest from either of them.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote