View Single Post
Old
08-07-2009, 07:35 AM
jbk ltd
twitter @jbk_ltd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
I have the feeling that we're going to see Ray Whitney become vastly overrated in this from a team MVP standpoint due to the impressive point totals skewing his value. Do not get me wrong, I am a huge fan of what Ray Whitney does for this team but there are several players that need to come off the board before Whitney. He is a soft one dimensional winger in his late 30's with stick skills to spare and a very strong powerplay presence, but to me that does not scream value. He plays one way hockey.
I don't disagree that Joni is deserving of a spot near the top and with the reasons folks are voting for him.

Vagrant, thanks for the pre-emptive strike on Ray Whitney, but I voted for him anyway. Not because I think his team leading points total "skewed" his value. Not because he was the only player not named Eric Staal to have played all 82 games in the regular season plus all of the post season even though he suffered from a significant injury that could have easily kept him out of the lineup on many nights during our stretch run.

I voted for him because in a year where the man wearing the 'C' obviously (IMO) struggled both on and off the ice, my personal observation was that Ray Whitney stepped up and very unassumably took leadership of this team on the ice, in the locker room (presumably, I wasn't there in person but from what I listened to and read he was a key figure there), at practice with the coaching staff, and with the media. That to me defined his value more than anything else he did statistically, which in itself was impressive.

Last edited by jbk ltd: 08-07-2009 at 07:42 AM. Reason: grammar
jbk ltd is offline   Reply With Quote