View Single Post
Old
08-07-2009, 01:05 PM
bbud

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazidoom View Post
What you fail to understand is that a team with enough fans won't have problems selling out during a period of mediocrity because there are always diehards who'll pay to watch them no matter what. Even if 90% of Toronto's fanbase decided they'd stop supporting the team the Maple Leafs would still sell out. I can't remember the average attendance for the Coyotes last season off the top of my head, it was perhaps around 12,000 or so? I do remember the average TV audience, it was 7000. Give or take a couple thousand, let's say the total fanbase of the Coyotes is a round 20,000 for the sake of simplicity. If the number 20,000 is roughly accurate, it means the Coyotes are in trouble if less than 80% of their fanbase goes to the games. There's no margin of safety. However, paradoxically, this can be seen as an encouraging sign. Assuming there are indeed around 20,000 fans it means at least 60% of the Coyotes fanbase is comprised of "diehards" and more than half of the total fanbase attends the games after years of failure. In the notoriously fickle state of Arizona, that's quite a feat.

Shall we once again look to the examples of the Diamondbacks and the Cardinals? The Diamondbacks won a World Series in their third year of existence, the fastest of any expansion team. Hundreds of thousands celebrated during their victory parade. Five years later they were playing in a half empty stadium. For the majority of their existence the Cardinals were looked upon by the residents of Phoenix with lukewarm apathy at best. How did they manage to start attracting massive crowds? People didn't wake up one day with a greater appreciation of the sublime joys of football. It's pretty simple, one team started losing, the other started winning. I can guarantee you the Coyotes would fill the seats every night if they made strong showings in the playoffs for a couple years.

It's easy for you to declare that Coyotes fans aren't doing a good enough job to support their team but in fact, I'd argue the fans in Arizona are doing MORE to support their team than most Canadians. If one or two thousand people in Toronto or Montreal stop buying tickets their teams won't even feel it. Other fans would simply replace them. But Coyotes fans can't afford to do that. They know there isn't anyone to take their place. And I know this will be controversial but I'd also argue that fans of the Coyotes are doing just as much as the fans of the Jets did. People like to compare the Save the Jets Rally of 35000 to the Save the Coyotes Rally of 500 and yet the Jets had an average attendance hovering around 11,000 in their final season. For a team that supposedly had a much larger fanbase I find it strange the numbers are so similar. I see a lot of "Hockey can't work in the desert" and "Hockey can't work in the South" posts but I sure as hell don't see anybody saying "Hockey can't work in Winnipeg" or "Hockey can't work in Canada".

Give the team a chance. The dedicated fans are doing everything they can, they just need some help from casual fans who don't like supporting losers. And for that the Coyotes need to win.
a couple of things to reply here, if having fans is totally dependant on winning you are in trouble each and every day any great team is one injury away from a bad stretch save maybe 1 or 2 but thats not a great plan .
Winning can help but fans should know its not always guranteed .
As for Winnipeg ive seen a bunch of posters say move them back i am Canadian and say no it is a great hockey city but i am not sure the city could live with financial needs of new NHL as of now , some will argue it could i am not against them either just not unless it is a slam they can succeed.