View Single Post
Old
08-10-2009, 12:01 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
While I don't agree with the the previous poster's sensational claim about Giroux being a more offensively-gifted Forsberg (is there even such a thing?), the comparison really isn't that far off. Both players possess generational play-making ability, jaw-dropping hockey sense/IQ, and raise their game to another level in the playoffs. Forsberg was more physically dominant because of his size, but Giroux is one tough customer and never shies away from contact or scrums along the boards. In fact, it seems like he relishes the opportunity to get his nose dirty. I just hope that Giroux's style of play coupled with his body type doesn't lead to injury problems, a la Forsberg, because he has the talent to one day be among the top 5 or 10 point producers in the game.
You can really tell that bolded portion from half of a season and six playoff games? I have to admit that I didn't see much of Foppa that first half season he played in Quebec City, and remember nothing of it other than what I read... I saw a few glimpses of Giroux's moves that might be considered reminiscent of Forsberg, but far too few to consider him an heir apparent... or say that he has generational skills or is a lock to excel in anything, at this point. If he shows such on a consistent basis over the next couple to few seasons, I'd feel more comfortable saying that he can be mentioned seriously in the same breath as Forsberg -- I will however admit that I did my self post on another forum that a couple of his moves reminded me of the many moves Forsberg displayed while healthy and wearing Orange & Black.

I know that statistics by them selves mean nothing... and especially so when they are separated by over a decade, and a whole set of revised rules and competition... but, for curiosity, I looked up the first seasons of Forsberg and Giroux -- ignoring Giroux's two game call up from Juniors in 2007-08 -- The playoffs were strikingly similar, with Forsberg getting the odd extra assist... but the regular season greatly favored Foppa in all categories, even the special teams play that I didn't copy here. As I said, they prove nothing, but are interesting; Giroux's is the stats of a promising player, while Forsberg's are stats of a better than PPG player who would only get better.

Forsberg.................Gm.....G.....A.....pts... .+/-
1994-1995 Nordiques.47.....15....35.....50....17........ Regular Season
1994-1995 Nordiques..6.......2.....4.......6.....2......... Post Season

Giroux
2008-2009 Flyers......42.......9....18.....27....10........ Regular Season
2008-2009 Flyers........6.......2.....3.......5......2...... .. Post Season

Last edited by Sawdalite: 08-10-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote