Old
08-10-2009, 02:29 AM
Mathieu Lavergne
AKA Saku K.

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Mathieu Lavergne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Stewart did have some pk time in Hamilton. With his skating and his awarness i have no doubt that in time he can become a decent defensive player. For next year i'm just hoping he plays a meaner game, to play like Carcillo or Rypen, that would be fantastic.
Stop overrating Stewart. He isn't talented offensively and isn't a good defensive player either. He didn't beat either O'brien or Stortini but he did hold his own against them. He got his ass handed to him by Tim Jackman. However, he pummeled Steve Ott and did win his fight against Chris Thorburn at ATL. Props to him for standing up for himself and his teammates and taking on much larger opponents in the NHL since he got great success fighting mostly smaller guys at the AHL level.

Stop putting Carcillo and Rypien in the same sentence as stewart as Carcillo is one of the league's top agitator and is a much more talented player with the puck on his stick. Rypien is a bulldog on skates and has already proven he could beat much bigger guys at the NHL level, plays on the PK and has a much better and tougher game overall.

Stewart plays a solid up and down game and brings a lot of energy to the table, is a decent middleweight fighter and skates well. MAYBE he could play a role on the PK one day but we already have Metro/Chipchura, Lapierre, Moen etc who are already proven in this role. He wasn't even a fixture at the AHL level on the PK and we're talking about the NHL level here.

He is the kind of player fans and teammates love as he is highly entertaining to watch as he goes to war every night and good news for him, the habs needs more grit and toughness up front. His upside is extremly limited and he needs to upgrade his strength to improve his effectiveness in his crash and bang style and as a fighter and works on his defensive game if he hopes of becoming a fourth line regular one day. He is not an asset, but a depth role player at this point and I'm fairly confident he would go through waivers. If somehow a team would pick him up, I wouldn't lose much sleep over him even if I like his heart, energy, fighting and find him very entertaining to watch.

Last edited by Mathieu Lavergne: 08-10-2009 at 02:50 AM.
Mathieu Lavergne is offline   Reply With Quote