View Single Post
Old
08-10-2009, 04:44 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
You know Claude was playing hockey well before he ever put on a Flyers sweater, right? His elite vision and hockey IQ are indisputable, and have been since the moment he started playing for Gatineau in the QMJHL. I wasn't basing my assertion about Giroux's skills or the fact that he steps his game up to another level in the playoffs solely on this past season. Rather, I was basing it on what he did during the playoffs while he played in the Q (go ahead, look up the stats); all his performance with the Flyers in this year's playoffs did was reinforce to me that he's a big-game player and saves his best performances for when the stakes are highest, regardless of the level of competition.

As for comparing Giroux's rookie stats to Forsberg's... as you alluded to, the game was VERY different 15 years ago, so I don't think point totals is the best platform for comparison. Go look at the individual point totals that were being put up in the early-to-mid-90's and compare them to what we see today. I don't think it's fair to compare the two players' rookie season point totals -- it's not so black and white. Let's also not forget to mention that as a rookie Forsberg had the good fortune of playing on a line with a future Hall of Famer in Joe Sakic.

The rookie stats were merely for curiosity and amusement... They prove nothing really -- other than Forsberg started out at a better than a PPG clip, but again, another time period.

I guess I'm just saying in all this that the many a Junior phenom was found on the side of the NHL road, trampled by players who were lower picks, and not earmarked for stardom... There are many a Daigle, a Faloon, a Brendl has beens, or even never wases... Comparing Giroux's talent with Forsberg at this point in his NHL career is quite a bit premature.

We also must remember that many a player was selected befor Giroux late First Round selection... and he was a player Clarke and his scouts settled on -- thank God? -- after his original selection was snatched out from under them by the Rags... So twentysomeodd teams passed on the player you saw in Juniors as a Foreberg peer.

listen, I love Gee... and I look for his stardom to blossom in the NHL... BUT, I don't know if he ever can come close to Forsberg in his moves and on ice awareness... and I can't say that I would be disappointed if he never became that level a player. If he is on par with Carter and Richards I will be elated... and I will not look for him reaching #17/#18 level for a while.

I just don't want too high of a bar being set and expectations being unmet if he doesn't become Forsberg-II in Philly and the NHL. I will settle for Gee being a Forsberg-Lite when he hits his stride... Not too shabby a career goal, IMO.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote