View Single Post
Old
08-10-2009, 05:39 PM
Kyle McMahon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMBM View Post
Khrushchev and Bretzhnev?

And Makarov had Krutov and Larionov, I don't think it's that much worse, if at all. But on defense, Fetisov-Kasatonov were the big advantages that Kharlamov didn't have. Vasiliev-Gusev/Lutchenko wasn't quite up there.

But like I said, IMO Makarov was slightly better than Kharlamov - no matter the 'different era' or anything - and it would be interesting to see a comprehensive analysis on the subject.
I suspect Mikhailov and Vasiliev are the two top-100's being referred to.

I don't think there's all that big of a gap between Fetisov and Vasiliev as far as defensemen go, but in terms of offense obviously Fetisov would have been a big advantage as you've stated.

From all I can gather, Kharlamov is considered the greatest Soviet hockey player by the Russians themselves. They should know a lot better than myself, so I'll take their word for it until I see a really convincing case for someone else. The fact that Tretiak's MVP voting record is so much better has made me think about moving him ahead, but as it stands I still have Kharlamov first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
I don't disagree with you, but the post you were quoting sounded like Kharlamov's regular partners were Sergei Berezin, Andrei Lomakin, Igor Ulanov and Andrei Zyuzin.

I'm also of the approach that says : It's not the skill that matters; it's what you do with it.
Hey! The Soviets would have been absolutely invincible with Igor out there! (That's the guy in my avatar btw )