Viacheslav Fetisov
Bobby Clarke
Bryan Trottier
Joe Sakic

Terry Sawchuk
Steve Yzerman
Ted Lindsay
Glenn Hall

I love Sakic's clutch performances (1996 Cup, 2001 Cup, 2002 Olympics) and actually had him above Trottier and Clarke on my initial list. But I have problems voting him onto this list above his contemporary Brodeur, who was best or near best at his position far more often.

If someone can convince me that Sawchuk or Hall is significantly better than the other, I might rocket one up my list. As is, I consider both behind Brodeur and both on about the same level as Dryden. And all of them a step back from the Big 3 goalies.

Is Sawchuk really that much different than Ken Dryden if Ken Dryden had left the dynasty Canadians after 5 years and then gone on to have 10+ years of average play?

Is Hall is basically Brodeur with less competition for regular season awards* and less success in the postseason for whatever reason?

*Sawchuk's decline began before Hall started winning awards, and Plante played in Montreal where he was unfairly seen as a product of Harvey until Harvey left, and then in NY, where he put up awful numbers. Also, Vezina winners like Theodore and Carey probably wouldn't have been in the league to put up their fluke seasons, with only 6 teams. Brodeur played half his career behind Hasek on a team with airtight defense, so it was hard to seperate the goalie from the team (similar to how Plante - Hall's primary competition - was hurt in the awards voting before Harvey left).

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 08-11-2009 at 12:09 PM.
TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote