Thread: Confirmed with Link: Jones signs on for 2 years.
View Single Post
Old
08-11-2009, 11:48 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Jones' price is jacked b/c Jones was overpaid on his entry level deal... he had leverage of being a UFA if we didn't sign him (see Blake Wheeler).

Any chance we extend Rinne this offseason? Hamhuis? Both are UFA next year. Poile rarely extends contracts before they are up. Can't really find any good reason for it. The few times he's done it (Legwand), he's overpaid.

I look around the league and see guys who were extended (Dustin Brown, Mike Richards, etc). They swooped in and offered an extension before they really established themselves, now it looks like a bargain.
And then there are guys like Horcoff, Michalek, etc. who haven't quite lived up to their early extension, and now the GMs look like fools for taking that risk.

I still get the feeling that Hamhuis will be gone next year, and not because we don't want him. He'll price himself out of Nashville, if he even wants to stay.

Regarding Rinne, I can understand why either side would want to wait on an extension. Rinne would get more money if he signed next summer, and Poile may want to avoid another Mason situation and wait until a goalie proves himself before extending him. That being said, I'd like to see Rinne signed immediately. He's convinced me that he's the real deal.

On Jones, we didn't give him his entry level contract. Minnesota did.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote