View Single Post
Old
08-13-2009, 07:07 AM
Canadiens1958

vCash: 500
Again.....................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirtless Joe View Post
Sorry, but I don't get your point. Hall thought Sawchuk was the best goalkeeper based on what he saw including the time they were on the same team, which isn't that surprising.

But you ignore Hall's strong play during his later career and his contribution to the 1968-69 Vezina. At that time he was sharing the job as starting goaltender with Plante, a goalie which I believe you rank quite high. So why won't you give Hall any respect?
I do not ignore Hall's strong play. I have a clear and distinct appreciation of it. Taking your 1968-69 Vezina Trophy contribution as the starting point. Hall and Plante virtually split the goaltending duties during the regular season with a 41 - 37 edge in games to Hall but Plante had a better GAA < 2.00. In the playoffs Plante won eight straight as the Blues swept the first two rounds, then both goalies lost 2 each to the Canadiens in the final. So Plante was the major contributor.

At the age of 37 - same as Hall in 1969, Terry Sawchuk shared goaltending duties,playing the most games with the best record, with Johnny Bower and Bruce Gamble in Toronto. Then he lead the surprising Leafs to the Stanley Cup playing 10 of the 12 playoff games.

Stanley Cup > Vezina.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote