Thread: Confirmed with Link: Nicola Riopel signed
View Single Post
Old
08-13-2009, 03:10 PM
DinkusMaximus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
I'm not saying that his numbers have been good. Like I said before, soured to me is when a prospect doesn't develop as expected. You don't expect the 119th pick to be anything more than a minor league player. He's no different than Houle, Beauchemin or other goalies that were drafted and have since moved on. Frankly I don't think they have enough invested in the guy to become "soured" on him. They understand that part of the business is that 4-8th round draft picks are nothign more than roster fillers.

Duchesne not being a diamond in the rough just is what it is and is the norm for a 119th draft pick.

Doesn't matter if you're taking a guy 44th overall or 242nd overall. You expect him to play up to the level of that pick and the other players picked around him then. When you don't play to that level of expectations their is great disappointment because they could have had someone else with that pick. Theres a reason they invest that much money into scouts. They try to get the best players available at that pick to try and steal the dark horse. Kiprusoff was taken 116th overall and Lundqvist was picked 205th overall. So they know talented players can indeed be had at that position in the draft. They don't exactly expect him to develop into those players, but the goal is to land the bet guy available there. They could have had Nathan Gerbe at that pick. So it doesn't matter where the pick is, if that player doesn't play up to the expectations of that position in the draft you get soured on him. A GAA that high and Sv% that low is a failure for a goaltender at that level even in the ECHL. Not to mention he's turned in those numbers season after season. With numbers like that I'm sure they've already written them off.

DinkusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote