View Single Post
Old
08-14-2009, 10:51 AM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
First, let me say that I actually really like Brad Richards as a player.

Secondly, let me say that trading Dubi ++ for him would be one of the most bone-headed moves this franchise has made in quite some time - which is really saying something. I could be convinced if Heatley, who requires an elite playmaker to set up his shot, was the goal scorer we acquired. But Marian Gaborik DOES NOT need an elite playmaker to put up points. He needs players who can keep up with him - see Wes Walz - and I think Dubi could fill that role perfectly. Give the kid a shot before moving significant assets to get another 7+ million dollar player.
I think you nailed it. Richards is def. a better player, but you don't need him to make Gaborik work. Heatley has done it, in the past, without a great center (in ATL) but Gaborik has done it his whole life.

Plus, Dubinsky did well with Jagr. If Dubie creates some space for Gabby, then that line could work well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post

edit: why would other teams want a RFA that isn't signed? I think they'd rather Sather sign Dubinsky before he was traded if he's actually up on the block. In which case, Sather would be better off by signing Dubinsky sooner rather than later.

That way, they know what they're getting in terms of contracts, etc.
But if they have his RFA rights, they can sign him to whatever contract they prefer (i.e. differences in contract length, cap hit, etc.).

I could see this as being just as, if not more valuable, than having him signed already

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Not that I agree with this assessment, but I have a feeling that they may be looking at Ribiero as their #1 center as he has posted #1 center numbers the last 2 years
Ribiero, points-wise, is just about as good as Richards IMO. Plus they still have Modano... who could be considered borderline 2nd line center, depending on the team. Also they have Brenden Morrow, and the emergence of Eriksson, Neal, and to a lesser degree Brunstrom. They still have forward talent/depth.

Richards provides a good 2-way game, but they have that with Jere Lehtinen.

Bottomline, doesn't make too much sense for Dallas... or even NYR

Last edited by Mr Bojanglez: 08-14-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote