View Single Post
Old
08-16-2009, 03:34 AM
Rick Deckard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
I could be wrong but I don't think that the Flyers can actually sign any player to a minor league contract. I live in Harrisburg PA so we have the Hershey Bears here and I can remember them for years being an independent (even when they were affiliated with the Flyers they did not wear the Flyers colors or logo, they have always kept their own). For many years half their roster was made up of players on NHL contracts from one or 2 NHL teams but the other half of the team were players signed specifically to AHL contract by the Bears. I can remember a few instances where an NHL team wanted one of the Bears players that his rights were owned by Hershey and the NHL team had to buy the contract from the Bears. Seeing how we no longer own the rights to the Phantoms I can't see how we could sign any players to minor league contracts with the Phantoms when we don't own the team. I would guess that the new owners of the Phantoms would have to sign those players and then they, as the owners of said player contracts, could actually sell the players contract to any NHL team willing to buy it. Maybe we sort of have a handshake agreement but then that would be illegal I would think.
Technically you're right, the Flyers themselves can't sign players to AHL-only contracts, practically though the new Flyers Assistant General Manager John Paddock is also the General Manager of the Adirondack Phantoms. From an NHL.com article shortly after his promotion:

Quote:
Paddock is spending the summer preparing for his new job as assistant general manager for the Philadelphia Flyers, a position that, among other things, puts him in charge of the team's new affiliate in Glens Falls, the Adirondack Phantoms. Paddock coached the Philadelphia Phantoms in 2008-09, but switched hats when Flyers GM Paul Holmgren asked him to take a management job.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote