View Single Post
Old
08-16-2009, 04:43 AM
RobertKron

vCash: 500
I ditched the cage and went to a half-visor as soon as I was allowed to, which was several years back. This past season I had 3 sticks come up under my visor in three weeks, which I decided was just tempting fate too much, so I switched back to a cage. I absolutely hated it at first. The stupid thing drove me nuts, was distracting, felt heavy, made it annoying to wipe my face on the bench, etc.

Finally, when getting dressed for a game, I decided that I'd had enough of the cage, and that I'd switch back to my visor before the next game. First shift out there, I go down and block a shot, it bounces back out to the point man who steps up and one times the puck as it comes to him and hits me square in the cage, directly where my mouth would have been if I'd been wearing a half shield. Instead of picking pieces of my jaw off of the ice, I was chasing the loose puck up ice to try to make something of a 2-on-1 on the transition.

Since then, I've been crosschecked in the face, and kicked in the face in areas that would have been unprotected with the visor. The cage still bugs me sometimes, but I've mostly gotten used to it, and really, I have to go to work the next day, so I'm pretty glad I kept it on.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote